self catering lincoln
Waingrove Country Cottages
Lincoln, the county town, with its castle and cathedral set high above the town and accessed through the steep, very steep!,cobbled streets, which run down to the High Street. Roman remains around the Cathedral and West Gate includes a wall.The close has a tithe barn, 1440, and the ruined Bishop's Palace. Other buildings of note include the Jew's House and the Stonebow, and the 12th century High Bridge over the river is worth a look.
The town has a large shopping area, being the area centre, and a busy High Street. A good place for a day out with its historic building, modern shops and things to do. It has several churches including St Benedict's and St Peter at Gowt's. Tourist Information centre in the town. The River Witham flows through the town, and in parts is a canal, Roman, and you can walk out into the country along the towpath. Around the town the area is very flat, with almost a grid pattern to the road network
Doddington Hall was built in 1600 by the Elizabethan architect Robert Smithson for Thomas Tailor. The splendid mansion stands today with its contemporary gatehouse and walled garden. The house has never been sold but has passed through four families by marriage - the Tailors, the Husseys, the Delavels and lastly the Jarvises who still live there today. The house retains its Elizabethan exterior but the interior has an Georgian elegance.
The White Hall was the original Great Hall and is used still as a dining room on special occasions. The walls are hung with family portraits of the Hussey and Delavel families. The Drawing Room, which is 52 feet in length, appears today as it did in the 18th century and is decorated with gilt mirror frames and gilt 'carton pierre' ornaments purchased by John Delavel in 1775. The Long Gallery was used for exercise and recreation in Elizabethan times but in the 1760s John Delavel turned the room into a picture gallery. Sir Joshua Reynolds was a family friend and a full length portrait of Sir Francis Delavel painted by Reynolds hangs at the foot of the front stairs. The Print Room commemorates the life of George Ralph Payne Jarvis who was a solicitor by profession and also an artist and expert woodcarver. The Parlour has oak panelled walls in the original Queen Anne style and is hung with family portraits. The Tiger Room has a splendid four-poster bed with crimson silk hangings and walls are decorated by Flemish tapestries. Displayed around the house is a fine collection of furniture, textiles, paintings and porcelain collected by the families over the past 400 years. Doddington Hall is surrounded by extensive parkland. The gardens have borders providing colour throughout the seasons and a wonderful layout of box-edged parterres. A wild garden set among mature trees has a glorious succession of spring bulbs and flowering shrubs. There is also a nature trail into the local countryside.
Lincoln Castle was one of the first great castles to be built by William the Conqueror. Begun in 1068 he used the hill top site that the Romans had occupied with their first fort, building over sections of the Roman city wall, and to enlarge the site 166 houses were demolished. At this stage it was mostly timber and it was virtually destroyed by fire in 1113, being replaced by much stronger stone affair. Later in the twelfth century the shell keep was added.
During the anarchy it fell into the hands of the Earl of Chester but afterwards reverted to the King. It was besieged during the Baron's War in the early 13th century but otherwise has had an uneventful history, being the seat of the shire court and prison. The castle is now owned by Lincolnshire County Council and is a scheduled ancient monument. However, the Crown Court still meets in the castle.
The Walls One of the most impressive features of the castle are the immense 12th century walls. You can still walk around the ramparts and a walk around the walls will give you a magnificent view of the six acre Castle complex, and also panoramic views of the Cathedral, city and surrounding countryside.